Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Once you start, it never stops: Inculcating the love of learning

Mondays and Tuesdays are grueling for me. Going to work and then to school is no easy feat, but I'm surviving. I love my Monday class. My professor has a way of maximizing the stretch of three hours without the class becoming boring. Before you know it, it's already time to go home.

When I was in college, I've always taken for granted how much knowledge I was being presented in the form of my professors. I had this attitude of just being in class without really having the heart to learn. I would go into my routine everyday like a zombie who has nothing better to do. I was doing it solely on the fact that I wanted to graduate. FAST. I wasn't able to smell the flowers during the course of my journey. I simply ignored them, not really absorbing anything as I rush towards my destination. When I finally graduated, having already worked for more than three years, it was only then that I regretted my actions. If only I had appreciated what learnings were given, if not spoonfed, to me before, I would have been able to expand my horizons.

So now here I am, finally deciding to go back to school and paying for it (my tuition is not really burning a hole in my pocket as I'm in a state university). It was only now that I realized that learning doesn't have to end after you finish college. You have to strive hard to learn everyday, because if you're a restless brat like me, you would feel  anxious and useless too once you feel that you're just stuck in your now. I may not be in UST anymore, but strolling down the halls of my new university feels like home. I feel useful and capable every single day that a grain of knowledge is being added to my capacity. I've had a change of mindset and a change of heart. I finally feel grateful that I have the means to enrich what learnings I have at the moment as some do not have this opportunity. And knowing that, I would make the most of it, smelling the flowers along the way.

3 comments:

Cher said...

Wow! you're studying again! Nice. You're right about feeling restless, I get like that sometimes too, that's why I do some self-studies when I don't have too much to do. No idle minds for us ladies. :)

DES CONLU said...

Yeah. An idle mind is a devil's playground. lol. so no sitting-at-home-doing-nothing moments for us! lol. it blunts the brains!

Anonymous said...

hi i just blogger walking visited you blog and it is nice content..come and visit my blog and follom me to..thnks